Hey class and Professor Maule,
The Universal Loving Kindness exercise was really simple and easy for me to do. I honestly felt that by doing this exercise, that I wanted to go out and actually assist people in becoming happy, whole and healthy; as well as help others to become free from suffering. I believe with every fiber in my little body that there are two types of people in this world, those that live to serve themselves, and those that live to serve others. To me, I serve myself by serving others, it makes me feel good to do something good for another, even if it's as simple as letting someone into traffic, or not laying on the horn because some bonehead shot out in front of me all of a sudden. I truly believe that good deeds are contagious, and that one little one can truly make someone's day. A compliment to a random stranger can put a smile on their face that last the entire day, while a rude gesture, especially in the early morning can ruin that person's day.
The Integral Assessment I found to be an easier version of something that I have been doing for quite some time now. I just call it Self Work. The process of sitting down and picking yourself apart piece by piece in order to gain a deeper understanding of yourself. I always stress that it is a painful process that forces you to look at yourself honestly, and to try to understand yourself OUTSIDE of how others see you. That may not sound like much, but most of us are nothing more than copies of how we think others perceive us. It's why we dress certain ways, why we style our hair this way, why we walk or talk a certain way, or why we drive the car we drive. We constantly seek validation in the eyes of others...but why? What does that say about ourselves if we are constantly worried about how others will look at us or how they will think about us? As much self work as I do, I still constantly find myself worrying about what people think, and have to stop myself and say 'why does this matter? Will their opinion change any aspect of my life? Am I walking the correct path or doing what's right, right now?' Sometimes I don't like the answers I come up with, but I have to deal with them and fix myself in order to accomplish my goals.
Thanks for reading my blog, hope you guys have a great week!
My goodness it sounds like you are on a great path to integral health and wellness. I think it's great that you have been doing so well. I started the process of self questioning and I diary the questions so I can remember how I felt in the past and track my progress in my journey in this life. It's funny now when I run I get lost in thoughts from the lessons we are learning and I notice that I actually run longer and my pace is faster
ReplyDeleteNice blogging with you
Rachel
Darryl;
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. I agree that many of us are chameleons (I think I spelled that right); we simply change what we think or speak to blend in with our surroundings. I love using the words personal responsibility and choice. From your post, I suspect that these may be words you apply to yourself as well. I fully believe that we must first accept responsibility for our thoughts, feelings and actions (good and bad)before we can make the choice to change. Keep up the good work!
Melissa
Hi Darryl,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post. I am also convinced there is two type of people in the world ones who want to help other and ones who could care less about helping. I know I find it rewarding when I help someone completed a task at hand. As for what people think of you, I am truly convinced there not much you can do about that. They are going to think what they want to. I believe be yourself and people will learn to accept who you are.
Once again enjoy your blog!
Craig
Hello Darryl,
ReplyDeleteYour post was great and made sense. I can totally relate with you in so many aspects you discussed. I am a huge believer in helping others because it helps me. I've always been taught to smile at everyone that you walk past if you can make eye contact because you never know if you smiling could help them have a better day. I work in customer service and it's important to make the customer feel worthy and happy about the start of their day (as I am a waitress/barista in the wee hours of the morning). Also, I believe calling people by their name is very important and can make them also feel like they are important because someone remembered their name, or better yet remember their birthday or an event they went to. It makes me feel good to know that I am just might make someone feel better!
Great job and hope to read more of your weekly posts.
Darryl,
ReplyDeleteI just loved your post. Great view on life you have there. I seem to be stuck in a madness of traffic on my cummute into the city where I live and people are just plain rude a lot of time. I really more people would become integrally healthy before even driving ha ha! But you are really going somewhere with stuff and I wish you luck on your personal path to happiness.
Amee
Hey Darryl,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog. I believe in Karma. If I hold the door open for someone, I feel that the good deed will spread to them, and to the next person, etc. until it finally comes back and finds me. If it doesn't find me, then it's no big deal. I still made someone's moment. Like you said, allowing someone into traffic is huge to people who know what it's like waiting to get into the flow. Great blog. Keep up the good work in and out of the class.
Coach Andrews