Haha that was so corny it's unreal. If you're here reading this, thank you! This is what went on for me this Unit:
I really enjoyed the "Meeting Aesclepius" exercise. Here is what my mentor looked like in my mind's eye. Have any of you seen the old show that used to come on Spike TV called Afro Samurai? Well he was kind of like that. I imagined this old, skinny man that was extremely muscular, just not in a body builder type way..like a Bruce Lee body or something. His hair was a dull grey, and he had a receding hairline. He was wearing a white, traditional Tae Kwon Do gi and had the sleeves rolled up. past his forearms. He was sitting cross legged in front of me, and I noticed (how do I "notice" something that I am imagining?) that he had on loose fitting black pants with no shoes or socks. His feet were also worn and calloused, showing years of training barefoot on various types of ground. He kept a slight smile on his face, and I knew in my head that this guy was the epitome of the peaceful warrior. I knew that he had all of the skill in the world, all of the wisdom, but what he chose to show everyone (or just me) was the calm, loving, yet disturbingly balanced and powerful quiet nature. When I was young and taking traditional martial arts, I had dreams of owning my own school, and being that super old sensei that was feared and highly respected. When my mind drifted, I would notice that he was still there, not having moved an inch. Haha I got IN TO this meditation didn't I?
By the end, I had decided that this old Master was truly the person that I wish to be in the "future"...and maybe I shall..maybe I shall.
In looking at the quote "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself", I believe that statement more than anything. I learned this early on as being a key principle in leadership. In the Marines, I would never, ever, ever make my Marines do anything that I hadn't or wasn't willing to do myself. It was because of this that my Marines didn't look at me as a guy who bossed them around, but as a man just as them; a man that would get dirty with them and not sit by on the sidelines and watch them do it. To lead another down a road that you have not traveled yourself makes you a liar to not only that person you are leading, but yourself. It's a shame that more people haven't realized this yet, and that they continue to deceive themselves on a daily basis.
Whew that was a lot. Thanks for reading. Have a great week.
Hi Darryl~
ReplyDeleteI had to stop by and check out your blog...especially when you referenced Afro Samurai. I did not know who that was so I googled (smile). OK...I go the picture now (lol). Yes, you were really into this Unit 7 exercise. It appears that saw yourself in Afro Samurai. With all of your skills in maritial arts and the discipline that you possess, trust me, YOU will be that person in the future--keep on believing and achieving! I liked this Unit 7 exercise as well it was very enlightening for me. Take care and have an awesome week!
Patricia
Darryl. I really like your description of your mentor I thinks that's awesome My mentor looks like Jillian michaels for some reason she is who i thought of while listening to the lesson . I really focused because she might kick my butt if I didn't :). Great blog. Hope you can make it to seminar. This week they are so much fun and great discussions are always happening
ReplyDeleteTtyl
Good post, Darryl :)
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you got into this exercise. I also liked the vision of your inner healer. The way you described him and how you spoke of him gave the impression that you really want to become him. That's awesome. I agree with your insight on the leading others. How can we expect others to follow our advice/suggestions/leadership if we ourselves are not willing to do it? We can't. Great insight! Keep it up!
Melissa
Hi Darryl,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy your writing. You seem to enjoy it as well. I felt like I could picture your mentor as you described. I didn't even think to add that to my post. :) Leadership is something that is attainable but often the characteristics the leader should possess are not there. I'm often surprised at those that get put into these positions. It sounds like you displaced much to be honored and proud of how you led your men. I'm sure that follows you well in your job pursuits at present.
So, how did the interview go last week??
Great post!
Ashley
Your blogs are always so interesting! I think my favorite this week is how you start out by saying how corny it was and then how much depth and detail you went into right after that. I have never seen that show but I could almost picture the guy in front of you by your description. I'll bet one day you will be in ownership of your own martial arts center and with your ability to get down and dirty with those you led in the Marines, I really think you have what it takes to be a leader and a business owner.
ReplyDeleteDarryl,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog! Like Nanci said, your blogs are always so interesting and I enjoy reading them. Afro Samurai was a great, and pretty funny, person to picture during the exercise. Your attention to detail is awesome and I actually read your blog and pictured this person before looking at the picture and you got it right on! Great mental imagery.
I can never compare myself to a solider, but when you describe being a Marine and your soliders looking to you as just one of them rather than someone higher ranked than them, I found myself comparing your sitation to my job as a manager. I am a young lady put in a position to mange women and men who are double my age. It was difficult as first, but when I got to know everyone and found similarities and things in common it was a lot easier to become part of the group and get these people to trust me and my opinions. For everyone it is different, but I believe understanding your surroundings before assuming the leadership can make you a great leader.
Take care!
That is funny. I think I have seen that. Very interesting post. I really liked it. And yes... you really did get into this meditation. I need those type of skills,so I can meditate more instead of drifting off to sleep.
ReplyDelete